A manual of fret-cutting and wood-carving ([1875])

fullscreen
Author: Seaton, Thomas, Sir, 1806-1876
Subject: Fretwork; Wood-carving
Publisher: London, New York : G. Routledge
Call number: SRLF:LAGE-4117298
Digitizing sponsor: MSN
Book contributor: University of California Libraries
Collection: cdl; americana

Average Rating: 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: Zither - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - May 16, 2011
Subject: 90% Wood-Carving
While giving a few fretwork designs, and most of those as relievo work, the author is really here for carving in solid. He even gives directions for human faces!

What constantly hits me is that we feel pleased if we can get a 12yo boy to make something out of popsicle sticks, where his ancestor 150 years ago might have the dexterity, patience, and ambition to do these intricate openwork carvings (like p.126). The only thing that give me hope we are not sinking back into apehood is that he does include an adult, and especially female learner.

Selected metadata

Copyright-evidence-operator: alyson-wieczorek
Copyright-region: US
Copyright-evidence: Evidence reported by alyson-wieczorek for item manualoffretcutt00seatiala on August 31, 2007: no visible notice of copyright; exact publication date unknown.
Copyright-evidence-date: 20070831172541
Scanningcenter: iala
Mediatype: texts
Collection-library: SRLF